Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Black RD, Blue Apron: Lamb and Risotto Style Ditalini Pasta

This meal had the most servings yet (I had it three times and still had a little left over). It is a pasta dish, so you can split it up any way you want to. I’ve had lamb before, but never ground lamb. Don’t let the name of the recipe fool you. The meat is a lamb and beef blend (It tasted like ground beef). The recipe will work with any type of ground meat, as well. There is also no risotto involved in the dish; only ditalini pasta.

This recipe uses lemon zest, so you may need a zester. You can also use a cheese grater with small outward protruding holes and spiky edges to zest the lemon. I had none of the above, so I just sliced the skin of the lemon into small, fine pieces.

The first thing I did not like about this recipe was that it called for 2 teaspoons of olive oil to cook the ground lamb/beef. HEALTH ALERT! You definitely do not need to do this. The higher the fat content of the meat, the more oil it will naturally produce once it is cooked. Just spray the pan with an olive oil based cooking spray before cooking the meat. You may want to season the meat before you cook it. The recipe says to use salt and pepper. I used seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper to give it some added flavor.

I found out I am not a fan of lemon zest in my food. I suggest you try a little with the zest and a little without it. I also recommend you add the green beans after you cook the garlic and onion to make them a little softer. They were a bit raw for my liking when I followed the recipe. And you are not supposed to boil the pasta beforehand. It is supposed to be al dente meaning it should have a slight bite to it. If you don’t like it like that, just cook it a little longer.

Overall, I’d give the recipe a B. I vote NO on the added oil and lemon zest, but YES to the ground lamb/beef mix and family serving size.


Bon Appétit! 




No comments:

Post a Comment